We all want our homes to look nice. Consequently, we invest time and money in upkeep and maintenance and spend countless hours performing jobs such as mowing, power washing, raking and even snow plowing (depending on where you may live!). And while each of these tasks take time, they are worth doing because it keeps our property at its best.
However, there Tips For Homeowners Before Meeting With Roofing Contractors Oneill NE 68763 is one part of the house that can be easy to overlook – primarily because we don’t always look up. Yet, the roof is one of the most important parts of our home because it is one of the first lines of defense against outside elements.
7 Roof Maintenance Tips
- Take time to clean out the gutters. Letting leaves and debris Oneill NE 68763 pile upon will result in the roofing shingles being damaged. In addition, the pile up of debris can allow water to get into the roof sheathing and cause it as well as the roof rafters to rot.
- Don’t allow leaves to pile up on the roof – but don’t use a pressure washer to remove them! Rather a soft car Emergency Roof Repairs Oneill NE 68763 washing brush on a telescoping pole or a leaf blower wielded by a professional, can be implemented.
- Get rid of any moss that may be growing on your roof. A roofing contractor can apply strip to the top of your roof to prevent mold from growing.
- Inspect any metal areas for rust. If you find it, use a wire Oneill NE 68763 brush to remove it, then prime and paint with a rust resistant coating.
- Remove any overhanging branches as in addition to dropping leaves and twigs on to your roof, will give easy access to roof for critters such as squirrels, raccoons, and others. Ideally, any branches need to be at least 10 feet higher than your roof. Side note – Oneill NE 68763 not having low branches above your roof make it less likely for a thief to try to find a rooftop entry point!
- In the event of a hail storm or strong wind, go outside and check to see that everything is okay. Look for any curling, loose, or missing shingles as well as for any damaged flashing around the vents, Oneill NE 68763 chimneys, skylights and other openings.
- If you live a region of the country where ice and snow are common, be sure to do your part to prevent ice dams. IN the event that ice does form on your roof, don’t try to pry off the ice. Rather use a telescoping pool and work from the ground by raking the snow Oneill NE 68763 off.
Roof maintenance is not something to be overlooked, and should be done routinely so that you can ensure your roof last for many years. By implementing these tips you can be sure that your roof can stand the ravages of the elements. If you have questions talk to a local roof contractor or home builder to learn what you Oneill NE 68763 should be doing.